
Now that fun has finally released there debut album, Aim and Ignite, and I've had a chance to listen to it about 30 times I'm ready to let you know how I feel about it. First off, for those of you who have no idea who fun is, I'll try to get you up to speed. Fun is made up of Nate Ruess (formerly with The Format), Jack Antonoff of steel train, and Anathallo's Andrew Dost. Why do I care? The format was one of, if not my favorite band and their last LP, Dog Problems, Had me hungry for more of the same. Instead, they broke up, #&%$#!! So when I heard Nate was forming a new band I was intrigued. So, Is the music any good?
Dog Problems 2, or Aim and Ignite, grabbed my attention in the first few seconds (is that an accordian?) and never let go. I always enjoyed the format for it's abnormal song structures, heartfelt emotional lyrics set to sugary pop, and spot on vocal performances with serious range. Check, Check, and Check. All those attributes are present. "Be Calm," and "Benson Hedges" start the album off with song structures not fit for radio. "All the Pretty Girls," "I wanna Be The One," and "Walking the Dog" make for pure pop/rock ear candy. But what really draws me into the music is the lyrics. Nate sings from the heart and isn't shy about inviting the listener into his personal life, "At least I'm not As Sad (as I used to Be) a prime example. I enjoyed every song on the album for different reasons. The one that impressed me the most, however, is probably the least catchy, but the most heartfelt "The Gambler." To me the song is the musical offspring of Ben Fold's "the luckiest," and Blizten Trapper's "Furr." So Does the album belong in the pantheon next to Dog Problems? A little too early to tell. But was it a let-down? Considering that I anticipated the release of this album more than any other in my life. No let-down here. All I can really say about the album is I can hear in every song that the band is having fun. I'm just glad that they took me along for the ride, because for me, it was a blast
Recommendations-
Buy it: if you like your emo candy coated in sunshine.
Don't buy it: if your Satan
Buy it: if your bored with what you're currently getting out of your favorite radio station.
Don't Buy it: if you've ever uttered the words "I love Nickleback."
Have just a buck: Download "Walking the Dog," or "At Least I'm Not As Sad."
Have two bucks: add "The Gambler."



Dude I need a grade scale...and of course a copy of this cd whenever I see you next. I'll have my drive ready.
ReplyDeleteAllright, I was gonna try to avoid a grading scale but I'm a man of the people.
ReplyDeleteWell, if you're avoiding it than I'll just have to respect the vision of the writer.
ReplyDelete